Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Reaction to "Are war crimes caused by bad apples or bad barrels?"
This article was interesting because I think war crimes are caused by both "bad apples" and "bad barrels." I think there are individuals who really do have problems and hate for other people and I think that the situations that people are put in do play a role in how a normal person can do harmful things. The article mentions that war is the "ultimate bad barrel," and I would agree with that because it can give someone a whole new mentality from what they experience and what they are expected to do while at war. Earlier in the semester we briefly went over the Milgram and Zimbardo experiments in my sociology class, and I think it just shows that given the right situation people can become monsters and do things that they normally wouldn't do. In the Zimbardo prison experiment, it seemed as though they actually thought the roles they were assigned was reality as time progressed, which caused the experiment to last a couple days instead of the two weeks that it was originally intended to last. Although they were just experiments, I think it makes us question what really goes on in places where there is no controlled environment, such as war.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment